Since graduating from The University of Texas School of Law in 1984, Darryl Carter has successfully tried a broad cross-section of civil cases before judges, juries and arbitration panels. He has gotten excellent results for a range of clients, from doctors, lawyers, inventors, and business executives, to employees in the construction, distribution, software and healthcare fields. Legal matters that Mr. Carter has resolved favorably, through either trial or settlement, include: complex business litigation, defamation, legal malpractice, partnership disputes, shareholder matters, wrongful termination, discrimination, Sarbanes-Oxley retaliation, whistleblower, and serious personal injury.
Mr. Carter's practice focuses on representing plaintiffs in business and employment litigation. In May 2009, Mr. Carter was lead trial counsel for a patent holder in a legal malpractice case against a big international law firm. The jury returned one of the largest legal malpractice verdicts ever in Texas, and the case settled confidentially before entry of judgment. The National Law Journal/Verdict Search in March 2010 released its annual list of the Top 100 jury verdicts in the U.S. This case was ranked as the 25th largest verdict in the nation for 2009.
Mr. Carter was co-counsel in obtaining for three law firms a major arbitration award. Tanox, Inc v. Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld L.L.P., et al., 105 S.W.3d 244 (Tex.App.-Houston [14th Dist.] 2003, pet. denied).
Mr. Carter is a frequent speaker at Continuing Legal Education seminars hosted by law schools and bar associations across the state, including the State Bar of Texas, the Texas Center for the Judiciary, The University of Texas School of Law, the University of Houston Law School, South Texas College of Law, the Houston Bar Association, and the Dallas Bar Association.
Mr. Carter has been named by Texas Monthly Magazine as a "Texas Super Lawyer." "Super Lawyers" constitute the top 5 percent of attorneys in each state, as chosen by their peers and through the independent research of Law & Politics. Mr. Carter was also listed among the "Best Lawyers in America" in 2007-2015. Recently, Houstonia magazine included Mr. Carter among its inaugural list of Houston's "Top Lawyers." The firm of Carter & Bachynsky, L.L.P., is rated by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier "Best Law Firm" in Houston.
- Bar Admissions:
- Texas, 1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 2009
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas,
J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- University of Houston, Houston, Texas,
B.S., Bachelor of Science
Major: Political Science
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- Leadership Boot Camp, Center for Women in Law, University of Texas School of Law, March 23, 2012
- Communicating With Lawyers and Persuading Juries, American Woman's Society of Certified Public Accountants, February 5, 2011
- Employment Contracts and Separation Agreements, University of Texas School of Law, May 21, 2010
- A Lawyer's View of What Judges Can Do to Make Life Easier for Lawyers and Juries, Texas Center for the Judiciary, January 22, 2010
- Champion of the Overprivileged: Tricks and Traps in Representing Corporate Executives, Houston Bar Association, June 25, 2009
- Arbitration and Jury Waiver Update, University of Texas School of Law, May 17, 2007 - May 18, 2007
- Litigating Employment Cases from the Plaintiff's Perspective, University of Houston Law School, 2004
- Contingent Employees and Leasing, University of Texas School of Law, 2003
- Employment Torts and Wrongful Discharges, State Bar of Texas, 2002
- Litigating Wrongful Discharge Cases - Plaintiff's Perspective, University of Houston Law School, 2001
- Evaluating Plaintiffs, Sizing Up Defendants, South Texas College of Law, 2000
- Honors and Awards:
- Texas Super Lawyer, 2006 - 2012
- Best Lawyers in America, 2007 - 2015
- Houston Top Lawyer, 2013 - 2014
- Previous Organization Name:
- Darryl K. Carter