U.S. News & World Report® Once Again Honors Carter & Bachynsky
The magazine U.S. News & World Report four years ago expanded its influential rankings of hospitals and universities to include law firms. From the inaugural 2010 rankings to the recently-released 2014 list, Carter & Bachynsky, L.L.P., has been rated a first-tier "Best Law Firm" in Houston. Through a process of client surveys and peer reviews from America's leading lawyers, the U.S. News rankings showcase premier law firms in 81 major practice areas throughout the nation.
We know what it takes to win. We have a proven record of success. Our lawyers at Carter & Bachynsky, L.L.P., have obtained numerous substantial verdicts and settlements in a wide variety of cases, including breach of contract, wrongful termination, employment discrimination, sexual harassment, defamation, whistleblower, minority shareholder oppression, legal malpractice, and employee benefit plan litigation. In addition to our litigation expertise, we are experienced in negotiating employment agreements and severance agreements for executive level employees.
Darryl Carter and Ashton Bachynsky have practiced in the same Houston, Texas, law firm since 1996. In May 2010, the firm expanded its practice, opening an office in San Antonio, Texas. Contact our business and employment attorneys online today to learn more about our areas of practice and the services that we offer.
The last few years showed the wide diversity of our practice:
So far in 2014
- Represented an executive in the preparation of his employment contract as President and CEO of a multi-billion dollar company.
- Successfully represented a senior vice president in a lawsuit his former employer filed against him based on alleged wrongful competition. We filed counterclaims for bonuses owed and we obtained dismissal of almost all of the employer's claims. This resulted in a favorable settlement to our client on his bonus claims, no money was paid on the former employer's claims, and our client was allowed to continue working with his new employer.
- Represented a corporate executive who obtained a multi-million dollar separation package from his employer.
- Successfully negotiated a resolution of claims by a former employer against a salesman for alleged violations of non-competition agreement resulting in our client being able to continue a new business he started.
- Represented a Houston company accused of firing an employee for refusing to commit a crime. After our firm became involved, the case settled for less than 10% of the terminated employee's initial monetary demand.
- Negotiated a substantial settlement of a sexual harassment claim against the CEO of an international company prior to a lawsuit being filed.
- Successfully reached a confidential settlement of a sexual assault and harassment claim against the owner of a company prior to a lawsuit being filed.
- Assisted international company with preparation of human resource policies and negotiation of software consulting agreement.
- Achieved settlement of a royalty dispute involving oil and gas production in the Eagle Ford shale just a few months after filing a lawsuit on behalf of our clients.
- Represented the Chief Executive Officer of a mid-sized corporation in negotiating a severance agreement with his employer.
- Reached a confidential settlement in mediation of an ex-employee’s claims under an employment agreement and change in control severance plan.
- Represented the Chief Financial Officer of a large corporation in negotiating a separation agreement with his employer.
- Represented the Vice President, Human Resources, of a financial institution in negotiating the post-termination settlement of a claim for unpaid severance under her employment contract.
- After we filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, we negotiated the voluntary dismissal of defamation and slander claims against our client without any money being paid.
- Successfully settled a breach of contract bonus claim against a client's former employer.
- Negotiated a settlement of defamation and slander claims against our client resulting in the dismissal of the lawsuit without any money being paid to plaintiff.
- Achieved a complete dismissal of plaintiff’s claims (including fraud and conspiracy) against our client, without payment of any settlement, less than three months after we began representing the client.
- Negotiated a confidential settlement of our client’s harassment and retaliation claims against her former employer before even filing a lawsuit.
- Prepared employment contracts for a Houston-based company engaged in the construction business.
- Negotiated a multi-million dollar separation package for the outgoing CEO of a major international corporation.
- Achieved a substantial, confidential settlement for our client in a lawsuit alleging minority shareholder oppression against two business partners.
- Represented a terminated employee in a binding arbitration that resulted in his reinstatement with full back pay and benefits.
- Resolved through settlement the stock option claims of ten employees of a Fortune 100 oil company.
- Settled the wrongful termination claim of an employee who was fired for refusing to perform an illegal act for his employer.
- Achieved a settlement of our client’s hostile environment and race discrimination claims against his former employer shortly after suit was filed.
- Successfully settled prior to a lawsuit being filed the wrongful termination claim of an employee who was fired for refusing to engage in an illegal act for her employer.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement and dismissal of a lawsuit for an employee sued by his former employer for misuse of confidential information and trade secrets.
- Represented an attorney in the preparation of an employment contract for his position as General Counsel of a Houston-based company.
- Represented a high-level employee in negotiating a complex separation agreement with his former employer, the U.S. subsidiary of a British company.
- Resolved through settlement the bonus claims for 10 ex-employees of a Fortune 100 oil company.
- Resolved through settlement a Sarbanes-Oxley retaliation claim against a multinational corporation.
- Negotiated the pre-litigation settlement of two ex-employees' racial discrimination claims against their former employer, a Houston company.
- Defended a local trucking company in a personal injury lawsuit filed by one of its former employees. After discovery, the case settled for a small fraction of the plaintiff's initial monetary demand.
- Represented the CEO of one of Houston's premier arts organizations in the renewal and extension of his employment contract.
- Represented a minority shareholder on claims of oppression and breach of contract. We negotiated terms for resolving the dispute, and had a binding settlement agreement signed by all parties, less than two weeks after the client retained us.
- Successfully resolved through settlement the claims of 12 ex-employees of a Fortune 100 oil company for benefits under a change in control severance plan.
- Represented as lead trial counsel a San Antonio inventor against a major international law firm in a month-long jury trial. That jury ruled in favor of our client and returned one of the largest legal malpractice verdicts ever in Texas. The case settled confidentially before entry of judgment. The National Law Journal/Verdict Search in 2010 released its annual list of the Top 100 jury verdicts in the U.S. This case was ranked as the 25th largest verdict in the nation for 2009. Read more.
- Represented Dr. Elsa Murano, the outgoing President of Texas A&M University, in her highly-publicized transition back to the university's faculty. Read more.
- Resolved through settlement a sexual harassment lawsuit against the CEO of a privately-held company.
- Negotiated a severance package for an executive with one of the world's largest oil companies.
- Represented Harry Page, a long-time sportswriter for the San Antonio Express-News, in a defamation lawsuit against the newspaper. The Court denied the newspaper's motion for judgment as a matter of law, and the case settled shortly thereafter. Read more